I used to think that delicious chicken burgers are very hard and difficult to make. So of course it was more convenient for me just to order one instead of making it. But ever since I’ve found this recipe, I’haven’t tried any other chicken burger. And the baked potato wedges are just the perfect side for it.
To be honest, the original recipe was with a pulled chicken but I decide it to leave it as a whole fillet and I think it made a difference. Of course if you’re a fan, you can always use 2 forks for the “pulling” of the chicken but rest would be exactly the same. The recipe is for 2 portions from a Gousto box with some modifications from me. And like I always say, feel free to improvise and find out what you like.
All you need is:
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 2 burger buns
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 4 small or 3 medium potatoes
- 1 tomato and 1 pickle (or any veggies you like for the filling of the burger)
- some mayo and wholegrain mustard
- cheese slices
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- some olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220oC/ 200oC fan/ 425oF and start with washing the potatoes and cutting them into wedges. You can leave the skin on if it’s a thin one but you’ll have to peel them otherwise. Lay them down on a baking tray and make sure they don’t overlay each other so all of them can cook nicely. Sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle some olive oil on top. Cook in the over for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
2. Slice the buns in half. Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the halves cut-side down and cook for 3-4 minutes until toasted. Once cooked, set aside for later and reserved the pan for the next step.
3. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side to make them golden. Remember not to put any oil so you can grill the fillets. Add couple of splashes of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook further more for 15-20 minutes. You might need to add more splashes of water if it evaporates but be careful not to add too much water. You want to cook the grilled fillets while they stay moist inside and crispy outside, try not to boil them.
4. Meanwhile, mix some mayo with a bit of wholegrain mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil – this is mustard mayo to spread on the buns.
5. Wash and cut the lettuce. Cut 2 slices of the tomato and dice the rest. Mix the vinegar with 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl and add the veggies. Mix everything well – this is your side salad.
6. Once the chicken is cooked you can either pull it with forks or leave it whole and ready for the burgers.
7. Spread each of the buns with the mustard mayo. You can add the chicken and the veggies as you wish. My burgers I did like that: Mayo, cheese slice, chicken, cheese slice, pickles, tomato, mayo and the bun lid. Served with the side salad and some potato wedges. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of a delicious chicken burger or you prefer beef? Did you like this recipe? Let me know in the comments if you tried it.