New Monday – new recipe. Today we have an English classic with a twist. The good old chicken pie but with extra kick of chorizo, served with a wonderful herby mashed potatoes. It’s not your regular pie baked in a puff pastry. This time the pastry is just the lid of the pie. I know it may sound strange but trust me – it’s surprisingly good.
All you need is:
- 250g chicken breast fillets
- 150g puff pastry / or 1 sheet cut into 2 squares/
- 3 potatoes
- 100g crème fraîche
- 100g diced chorizo
- 1 red onion
- 80g Tenderstem broccoli
- 160g blanched peas
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine / or white wine for cooking / or you can totally skip this
- 10g parsley and chive mix
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp flour
- 150g milk /+ a splash for the mash/
- Salt and pepper
- Baking paper
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into large pieces. Add the potatoes to a pot with boiling water and cook them until fork-tender. Once cooked, drain and put on a side for later.
2. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Then put it in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 4-5 minutes.
3. Cut 2 squares of puff pastry and put them on a baking paper in a tray. Make a cries-cross pattern with a knife and season them with salt and pepper. Bake over 200C/ 180C (fan)/ 395F for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crispy.
4. Cut the chicken fillet into bite-sized pieces. Once the onion has softened, add the chorizo and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the chicken and cook until it’s all cooked.
5. Add 1 tsp flour to the pan with the chicken and mix everything well. Then add the milk and the creme fraiche. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the sauce has thickened. Stir through the Chinese rice wine and cook for a minute. – This is your pie filling.
6. Meanwhile, add the broccoli and the peas to a pan with boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
7. Chop the parsley and the chives finely. Mash the potatoes. Add a knob of butter, a splash of milk, the herbs mix and season with salt. Return to low heat and mix everything until you have creamy mash.
8. Serve the pie filling with the herby mash and greens on the side. Top with the pastry lid.
What do you think about today’s recipe? Do you have favourite pie filling? Mine is definitely this one.
P.S. 2 days left until the end of my Instagram giveaway.